The Solar Module consists of eight chapters that are further divided into subchapters, with clearly specified titles to enable the user’s easy access to specific parts of information.
The training content is followed by the Glossary of lesser known terms’ explanations, five examples of Case Studies, a list of Useful Links for further reading as well as helpful videos, and finalized with the Assessment Questionnaire of ten multiple-choice questions, covering all areas of the training content presented, with the Correct Answers page being attached separately.
Basic terms, definitions and categorizations of solar energy, solar energy technologies and components; history of solar energy, advantages of solar energy use, its various applications, measurement and storage methods; solar energy use in agriculture and horticulture; practical examples and success stories depicted in case studies, further information contained in useful links.
GENERAL LEARNING OUTCOMES OF THE MODULE
The learner has knowledge: Regarding what is solar energy, what are its advantages, useful applications, technical specifications, how it works, ways of using it in agriculture and horticulture, what are the measurement units and storage methods
The learner has skills: to choose the appropriate solar energy technology, tools and materials; to apply it to the benefit of his/her own agricultural premises; to maintain it, to store the electricity generated from the solar technology used and to monitor its proper functioning
The learner has competence of: being able to understand a plan and implement the recommendations of that plan regarding the proper range of use of solar energy in his/her farm; to adapt own behavior to circumstances in solving problems.
SYLLABUS OF SOLAR MODULE
1. Basics of solar energy: definition, categories, solar radiation, fuel production, drawbacks of conventional fuel usage, advantages of solar energy use
2. Solar energy use throughout history: beginnings of solar energy use, early commercial adaption of solar energy
3. Solar power: what is solar power, what is photoelectric effect, solar panels
4. Solar generated electricity: definition, usage, advantages, applications in agriculture
5. Concentrated solar power: historical background, concentrated technologies
6. Solar thermal energy: various uses, applications and practical examples
7. Energy storage: methods, measurement and feasibility
Solar energy in agriculture and horticulture: a historical overview, solar greenhouses, applications